Thursday, December 17, 2009

Homemade Peeling and Masque

For the past few years I have been making various peelings and masques at home. They are cheap and you can use as few or as many ingredients as you want.
I tend to make very basic mixes and don't use anything I would have to buy especially. If you have tried a few recipes you've probably noticed that certain ingredients work better than others. My favourites were the bases for these two recipes (if you can call them that).

Scrubby Masque:
  • 2 tbs. full fat natural yoghurt - Low fat can be used, but won't leave your skin as soft and moisturised.
  • 1 tbs. honey
  • oatmeal - I use a mix of rolled oats and 'Hafermark,' which appears to be similar to quick-cooking oatmeal (i.e. the oats are steamed, rolled and cut or ground)
Mix honey and yoghurt, then add oats until a sticky paste has formed. Apply on clean skin and scrub off after 10-15 minutes. I try to avoind making a mess by using this while soaking in the tub.

Dry Peeling Mix:
  • 1 part baking soda - I know that my skin reacts well to baking soda, but some people's don't. So make a small batch first and try it.
  • 3 parts rice flour - I use a true fine flour, but if you can get a slightly coarser type of ground rice go for that.
  • 5 parts oatmeal
Throw everything in an airtight container and shake vigorously. Mix approximately 2 tsp of the mixture with a little bit of water until you get a thick paste. Scrub over your face for a few minutes. Remember to keep the peeling out of your eyes and to moisturise afterwards.

These are my staple facials and work very well for me, but remeber to use common sense. Don't use ingredients you couldn't ingest, don't mix baking soda with acids, etc.
I prefer not to use salt or sugar on my face, despite having fairly sturdy skin. The thought of scratching across my face with cubic crystals just creeps me out. I do have a couple of sugary body-scrubs, but only use them sparingly.

Do you make your own masques or peelings? Maybe even lotions?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...