Friday, January 8, 2010

Another Tag: Happy 101 Meme

The Happy 101 meme is making the rounds. Thanks, LiAnne of Sparklecrack Central, for tagging me!

How it works: list 10 things that make you happy and tag 10 blogs.



1. Music. Yes, I realize that this is a generic answer, but there is so much about music that makes me happy that I could probably fill this list. One of the best things I've ever done was performing Bruckner's Mass in E Minor in a church with great acoustics. Or his motets. Listening to cake on the way to Uni or to Johnny Cash when I'm down. These days I can't really play the piano any more, but I used to be decent and the few times I had the opportunity to play on a harpsichord were so thrilling. Music = Love!

2. Reading. Reading practically anything, really. I get enjoyment out of reading and re-reading novels, plays, ancient literature and (dare I admit it) fanfiction. Seriously, a tiny fraction of that stuff is really good. Sometimes I read horrible books and fic on purpose and smirk for hours. My first love was the Odyssey, but I quickly found Science Fiction and spent most of my high school years with Asimov and Heinlein.

3. My pets. I currently share two cats with my sister, but occasionally give in to my rodent urges. Isn't it the best feeling when you come home grumpy after a sucky day and purring felines wind around your feet?

4. Joss Whedon. I don't like everything he ever did, but another 'instant happy' is watching Dr. Horrible or an episode of Firefly or Buffy.

5. Cooking and baking. When I'm stressed I get the urge to bake, but any kind of cooking or baking activity can smooth out a spiky mood.

6. Nail polish. That should be kind of obvious. Painting my nails is sort of zen, I just wind down. Doing nail art can be challenging and creative and so much fun. And when the polish is dry, rubbing over the smooth surface is so soothing!

7. Tea. It's not just for brits.

8. Epigraphy. Reading, translating, dating and interpreting an ancient inscription is incredibly satisfying. Try it!

9. Knitting. I knit and spin off and on and take great pleasure in wearing the things I've made. I've improvised a few pieces, though I usually work with patterns. Of course it's a bit annoying that I have to be very careful not to damage recently painted nails.

10. DIY. Whether it's just some IKEA furniture or building smething from scratch, I love seeing things take shape in my hands.


Now who to tag (and feel free to ignore this if you don't want to do this meme):
Kellie of Also Known As...
gildedangel of Naive Nails
Evil Angel of Black Nail Polish and Lip Gloss
PolishedPrude of PolishSWATCHES
Cindy of Nail'd & Polish'd
Deniz of Emerald Sparkled
Heather of Lambchop Mobile
Jaime of nails of the day
Tatiana of By Lumin0us
Sarah of Glitter Millie

4 comments:

kelliegonzo said...

oooh i'm excited to do this one :D

i've always wanted to learn to knit! i've never been good at DIY stuff like that so it'd be a real accomplishment. fun stuff!

CucumPear said...

Learning to knit is quite easy, if you've never tried it before consider leaning the continental method, it's way easier and faster in my opinion (though I favour combined knitting which is a variant). Knitting Help ( http://www.knittinghelp.com/ ) has nice comparison videos. And you only need a few basic stitches to make amazing patterns.
(/enthusage)

Polish'd Cindy said...

Thanks for tagging me! Knitting is something I really want to learn too, I'll have to check out that site.

CucumPear said...

*rubs hands gleefully* I'm always happy to convert people.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...