Tuesday, June 1, 2010

NotD – French Feng Shui? That’s Just Feng.

Huh. Sorry that’s the Firefly fan showing. The second one’s supposed to be feng1 (i.e. crazy). See, it’s like a pun (or should I say “It’s a pune or play of words.”), but not.

Returning to the topic of today’s post, I picked up a couple of very pretty ArtDeco polishes last week which I wanted to try. Thus I decided to use one of them as base colour for a funky french with Suzi Says Feng Shui as tip colour.

This is what I used today:

  • NailTek Foundation II
  • ArtDeco Ultra Quick Dry Nail Lacquer 88
  • OPI Suzi Says Feng Shui
  • essence colour&go 21 Fabuless
  • Seche Vite

I started by applying three coats of ArtDeco 88 over NailTek and sealing the base colour with Seche Vite.

ArtDeco Ultra Quick Dry Nail Lacquer 88 is a soft shade of pale minty green and barely opaque in three coats. Though pretty in colour it’s a slightly chalky crème polish.
I have real problems with this formula. I grabbed two bottles from the rack and hoped that they would apply like ArtDeco’s Ceramic Nail Lacquers. I was sorely disappointed. Though each coat dries quite quickly, the bad opacity simply requires more coats and I only got away with three because I applied a thick third coat and planned to cover up the tip anyway. From what I remember of Ceramic Nail Lacquer 133 that would have been opaque and dry much more quickly. Also, Ultra Quick Dry Nail Lacquer 88 is incredibly streaky, another reason for finishing with a thick coat. ArtDeco’s brush is a soft round one. I like it in general, but it was not up to applying this formula smoothly.
I love the colour of Ultra Quick Dry Nail Lacquer 88, but prepare for a painful application if you decide to give it a try.

This is Ultra Quick Dry Nail Lacquer 88 in two coats without top coat, photographed with flash:

And this is Ultra Quick Dry Nail Lacquer 88 in three coats with Seche Vite, photos taken with flash and without under a ‘natural spectrum’ lamp:

 

After giving the top coat a few minutes to solidify, but not fully dry, I used Suzi Says Feng Shui to paint the tips blue. As I have relatively short nail beds I made the blue line skinnier than my current free tip. It’s all about deception, isn’t it?
Then I used a dotting tool and Fabuless to apply a line of dots between my main colour and the tip and sealed the polish with Seche Vite.

I don’t wear a lot of french tips, but I really like this. What are your thoughts on french manicures, funky or classic?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...