Friday, November 26, 2010

NotD – Temporal Confusion

… or: The early 90s threw up on my nails.
I have no idea why I did this, but it seemed to be good idea at the time. Which might be a clue about the unhealthy nature of my current mindset. ;-)

Here’s what I used for this mani:

  • ArtDeco repair & care nail lacquer
  • Sally Hansen Diamond Strength
  • Eyeko Coral Polish for resort nails
  • Seche Vite
  • a bunch of bright crème polishes
  • different kinds of rhinestones
  • Sally Hansen Diamond Shine

I started with a triple strength base, i.e. one coat of ArtDeco and two of Diamond Strength. Then I applied three coats of Coral Polish and one of Seche Vite.

Coral Polish is one of those colours that appear very different depending on the light they’re under. It can range from a pinkish red to a clear red to a slightly orangey shade. But overall I find that calling it coral is quite fitting, just keep in mind that this is a coral reminiscent of the polyp-y colony kind rather than the pinkish orange one usually referred to in cosmetics. This polish is very bright and glowy without being neon. Folks who can’t stand VNL will need an opaque base, Coral Polish is a bit jelly-ish and not opaque in three coats (you can’t see it on the photos, but I could easily see the tip in RL). I doubt that four would suffice, either.
This polish applies wonderfully. The first coat was almost perfectly even and the second one most definitely was. Those who like a semi-sheer finish can easily wear Coral Polish like this without worrying about streakiness. I love the formula, it’s a tad runny, but not so much that it’s prone to cuticle flooding, and levels beautifully. The round brush is, as usual for Eyeko, easy to control and supple.
If you like bright reds or have always loved the beauty of coral reefs, I think you’d really enjoy this polish.

Here’s Coral Polish in two coats without top coat:

And this is Coral Polish in three coats with Seche Vite:

I wore this polish plain for about half a day before adding the other colours to make sure it dried thoroughly, as I knew I’d need a few coats of top coat over the rhinestones. I used a striping brush to apply random lines and dots of my crème colours until my nails looked like a late 80s or early 90s shirt. I’d like to state that I never wore such patterns after I started picking out my own clothes. I like to think so, anyway.
After I had finished the pattern I applied one coat of Diamond Shine, stuck two or three rhinestones (most of these I wouldn’t normally wear, bows are so not me) to each nail and sealed the manicure with two coats of Seche Vite.

As I’m writing this I’ve worn that mani for about 42 hours and I’m feeling the urge to put on something more serene. I do like this bout of naily insanity, though.
What’s your favourite crazy nail idea?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...