Monday, December 13, 2010

KotD – A Most Uncreative Winter Design

Firstly I have to say that while those are most certainly my nails, I did not make up the design. Nor am I the first to apply it to nails, not at all. I have no idea who did, but y’know, everyone seems to be doing this. *trots off to search for a cliff to hop off*

Here’s what I used today:

  • OPI Nail Envy Soft & Thin
  • Sally Hansen Diamond Strength
  • China Glaze Midnight Mission
  • Seche Vite
  • China Glaze Jitterbug
  • China Glaze Millennium
  • Konad image plates m5 and m70
  • Sally Hansen Diamond Shine

As usual I started with a basic application of my base colour. I finally got my hands on some Nail Envy, so I used a coat of that, then one of Diamond Strength, two of Midnight Mission and sealed it with Seche Vite.

Midnight Mission is a divine deep blue infused with silver shimmer, like shimmering ink and thus beyond lovely and very flattering. It’s also nicely opaque in two medium-thick coats. Winner.
I had no issues whatsoever with Midnight Mission, it applied beautifully and is smooth no matter how thin you prefer your coats (if you tend to apply nail polish very thinly you’ll need three coats, though). China Glaze’s round brush is easy to control and left me with very little clean-up, for which my ravaged cuticles were very thankful.

Here’s Midnight Mission, which my camera didn’t want to photograph at all, in two coats with top coat:

Then I gave sponging another try and this time it actually did work out (much better than this). I simply used a chunk sawed off a kitchen sponge and Jitterbug. Very pretty, methinks.

Then I stamped on the snowflakes using my trusty (and rarely used these days) Konadin’ supplies and Millenium. Of course the only actual snowflakes I had were part of a full-nail design on image plate m70, so getting rid of the weird lines was a bit tricky and required quickly wiping leftover bits of unwanted polish off the stamper while hoping that the actual flake didn’t dry due to the delay. I also used a simple star design from m5, which I felt looked close enough, again only using one bit of the triple star at a time. A coat of Diamond Strength sealed everything nicely.

Very cute, even though everybody (and probably even their pet hamsters) has done this. Seasonal manis – tacky or awesome?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...