Tuesday, December 21, 2010

NotD – Citrus Blossom

I’ve been without good ideas recently. So today I thought I’d let my mani grow naturally. If the photos turn out weird: I’m trying out a borrowed camera to try and help my decision process (my current one is about six years old and wasn’t the newest model back then) and all photos are sans flash today.

Here’s what I ended up using:

  • OPI Nail Envy Soft & Thin
  • Sally Hansen Miracle Nail Thickener
  • NYX NP 01 Carnation
  • Maybelline Colorama 51 French White
  • NYX Girls NGP 140 Sour Lime
  • Seche Vite

I decide to start with a yellow base and applied one coat of each treatment, four of Carnation and sealed it with Seche Vite.

NYX Carnation is a soft yellow crème polish on the bright edge of pastel. Somehow it seems like it should be more opaque than it really is. After applying the first coat I thought that two might be almost perfect, but in the end even three weren’t enough.
Carnation is, like most yellows, a bit tricky to apply. It was very streaky in two coats and only evened out in four. The brush is round and a bit stubby, but it did make precise and neat application necessary. It did not, however, allow me to apply Carnation evenly.

Here’s Carnation in two coats without top coat:

And this is Carnation in four coats with Seche Vite:

After the base colour was mostly dry I used a striping brush with French White to add the off-centre chevron (there’s no need for this to be perfect as it will be neatened after the next step) and a dotting tool to create a little flower near the base of the nail.

Then I used Sour Lime with a smaller brush (not as narrow as a striping brush, though) to fill in the tip and with a dotting tool to add a little bit of colour to each petal. Then I tidies up the white lines and sealed the mani with Seche Vite.

I always love pale yellow with white, but I think the bright sparkly lime really give this the edge it needs. What colours would you have used?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...