Sunday, December 5, 2010

NotD – Slain By Sparklies

I may have overspent at the drugstore today, for despite not planning to buy more than a couple of essence’s fairytale TE nail polishes I just couldn’t resist. And they’re not even my kind of colours (most of them, anyway). Also there was a new MNY LE: I Am An Iced Angel, with a few lovely colours and a gorgeous glittery mascara top coat.
So today’s manicure grew out of one of MNY’s new polishes. Please excuse the cuticles, I oil ‘em, I Lemony Flutter ‘em, but the sudden cold weather really did a thorough job on them.

Here’s what I used today (eep, my bottles have halos…):

  • Sally Hansen Miracle Nail Thickener
  • MNY my varnish 407A
  • essence fairytale 06 welcome to wonderland
  • essence fairytale 04 humpty dumpty
  • essence fairytale 01 fairy berry
  • Seche Vite

I started by applying two coats or Nail Thickener, three of 407A and sealed the polish with Seche Vite.

MNY 407A is a sheer iridescent pink/green/grey shimmer polish, which from some angles looks greenish grey with silver shimmer, only to morph into a pink with silver shimmer and a pinkish lavender. Three coats are far from opaque, so VNL-haters will need an opaque base.
I loved 407A’s formula, it applied smoothly and free of streaks. Also, it’s fairly runny and made applying very thin coats easy. The brush is MNY’s usual supple, narrow, flat one, which I really like.
I suspect that this will be lovely for layering as well as being gorgeous on its own, so if you have access to MNY, take a look (and also check out the glitter mascara, which looks much better than on the website).

Here’s 407A in two coats without top coat:

And this is 407A in three coats with Seche Vite:

Today I thought I’d do a step-by-step again (not that it’s really necessary as the design is pretty simple). I started by applying welcome to wonderland diagonally across the tip.

Since those two colours are not ideal directly adjacent, especially as 407A shifts, I added a double line of humpty dumpty between them, using a medium-length striping brush.

Then I used a dotting tool and fairy berry to place a row of dots between the lines and a small, almost floral, detail to the base of the nail. I think that really balanced the more busy tip quite well. Then I sealed everything with another coat of Seche Vite.

 

Who’s good at identifying finishes, ‘cause the fairytale polishes baffle me. They seem to hover between shimmer and foil, so I really don’t anticipate swatching and reviewing them, because then I have to decide what to call them. :-P

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...