Thursday, April 7, 2011

NotD – Replayed Fashion

First of all, I know I’ve been going on about the fragility of my nail, but I do have reason to do so. It’s only been a couple of days since I removed the silk wraps and one corner of my left index finger nail has broken off. Bleh. So you get to look at a funky nail shape for a bit until it grows out and I can file the nail down.
This NotD was an annoyance and halfway through applying the base I was tempted to just take it off an use something else instead. Basically the idea was to do something, not just anything, that says something about something with those three essence polishes I recently bought (and I’m not apologising about the Daria reference).

Here’s what I used:

  • OPI Nail Envy Soft & Thin
  • Sally Hansen Miracle Nail Thickener
  • essence colour&go 53 you belong to me
  • essence multi dimension 73 replay
  • essence colour&go 54 trust in fashion
  • Seche Vite

I started with my usual base colour application: one coat of each base coat, three of you belong to me and one of Seche Vite.

you belong to me is a pretty pastel mint, fairly balanced, but leaning towards the green end of that shade. I wouldn’t call this unique, but it’s a cute colour (it’s a bit more green that it appears in the photos). It’s fairly opaque, two coats are wearable, three are better.
The application is not up to par, though. I really expected more from essence, based on my experienced with the brand. you belong to me didn’t level well and it bubbled. Not just a little, every single nail looked gritty after the fist coat (and my base was completely smooth). The second coat looked a little better, but not by much. Quickly slapping Seche Vite over the third coat did work, but y’know not everybody uses that (or any top coat). Despite not being streaky and the brush being lovely, I’m not liking this.
For once: NOT recommended. There are plenty of mint greens around these days that don’t bubble. Plus, the name is really creepy. If you’ve tried this polish let me know how it worked for you.

Here’s you belong to me in two coats without top coat and with plenty of bubbles (click the close-up for an idea of the bubbliness, it actually looked much worse):

And this is you belong to me in three coats with some Seche Vite:

After the base colour was dry and, thankfully, free of bubbles, I used replay to paint one corner of each nail and to add a row of dots parallel to that corner.

Then I dotted some trust in fashion between the mint and the jade green.

Last Step: I went back to the bubblinator you belong to me and added three dots right at the corner in a triangle shape. Another Seche Vite sealed everything in.

Diagonals and dots are my go-to style and I love ‘em to bits. You can do that in any kind of colour combination or even monochromatic with matte and shiny textures and these manis are just so quick and easy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...