Saturday, May 7, 2011

NotD – Something Frothy

What happens when a bottle of polish is almost empty? You use it as a base for a new franken, of course. This time it was China Glaze White on White. I added some more white, some blue and green…

Here’s what I used tonight:

  • OPI Nail Envy Soft & Thin
  • Sally Hansen Miracle Nail Thickener
  • Aphros - the new frankenpolish
  • essence black & white 01 black out
  • essence black & white 02 white hype
  • essence denim wanted! 03 my boyfriend’s jeans
  • claire’s matte blue polish
  • Rimmel 60 seconds 805 Grey Matter
  • Seche Vite

I applied my bases, then two coats of Aphros and sealed it with Seche Vite.

I’m not going to talk about the franken much, the colour itself isn’t hard to achieve (just some white with a bit of Orly Wandering Vine and Eyeko Vamp Polish). I used some some of essence white hype and matt top coat to get a bit of a satin finish. However, I didn’t give Aphros enough time to settle, so I had to add top coat to get rid of the bubbles.

This is Aphros in two coats with Seche Vite:

I wanted to achieve a sea spray kind of effect, since Aphros is a sea-foam type colour (and that’s what I named it after). So I stippled my accent colours and some more Aphros onto my nails with a chunk of kitchen sponge. I started to add some swirls, but didn’t like them and simply stippled them away while they were wet. To get a perfectly smooth finish I added two coats of Seche Vite.
Since some of you may not have sponged before I thought I’d also show you what it looked like pre-Seche Vite. Not pretty, so don’t worry if you try and think it looks gross at first, ‘cause (a) the first try rarely works out – I dare you to click through to my first try - and (b) it might look nifty with top coat.

 

Have you ever noticed that when you apply a colour plus top coat and then sponge the same colour over that, it looks a bit like the aged and flawed glaze you see on old ceramics? I’m going to have to use that purposefully some time (if I remember ;-) ).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...