Sunday, October 9, 2011

Swatches - essence urban messages

Here we go, another post featuring the polishes from an essence trend edition.

As so often in recent TEs, there are five colours in urban messages. All of them are very shimmery - or rather microglittery - and come in 10 ml (.33 fl. oz.) bottles with round, flexible brushes, which I find quite nice. Each polish required three coats, though with careful application (and depending on the thickness of the coats) nightline might get away with two coats.
The formula wasn’t completely consistent, some polishes were patchy or streaky. But all were even (or mostly even) in two coats and I found none of them difficult to apply.


essence urban messages 01 street styler

Oh, street styler, how pretty you are! This is the only polish with differently sized glitter in the dusty teal-ish blue base. There are fine sky blue and bigger silver particles. The overall effect is pleasantly weird.
Though street styler was patchy at first, it eventually evened out. Not a real problem.

This is street styler in two coats without top coat:

And this is street styler in three coats with top coat:


essence urban messages 02 skyscraper

skyscraper is a bit odd and I’m kind of ambivalent about it. The combination of extremely fine blue-green microglitter in a putty-coloured base is unexpected and surprising. I wouldn’t normally even wear this weird putty thing, but the sneaky colour intrigues me.
This one was ever so slightly runny, yet almost free of streaks and it levelled very well. I have no complaints about skyscraper’s formula.

Here is skyscraper in two coats without top coat:

And here is skyscraper in three coats with top coat:


essence urban messages 03 it peace

I keep surprising myself when I remember that I own a few bottles of creamy pinkish red polishes like this. Except that it peace also has the strange juxtaposition of blue/purple/magenta microglitter.
Though the first coat was very streaky, the second was almost perfectly even. Otherwise, it peace applied nicely.

This is it peace in two coats without top coat:

And here is it peace in three coats with top coat:


essence urban messages 04 nightline

The first coat frightened me a little. The base just looked like a sheer black, but upon applying the second coat nightline just turned almost perfectly opaque. You can barely tell that the base is black, the blue microglitter - with just a hint of purple and magenta - made it look like a blackened blue.
This, too, was very streaky at first, but it was practically perfect after the second coat.

Here is nightline in two coats without top coat:

And this is nightline in three coats with top coat:


essence urban messages 05 wall of fame

I had to edit the photos of wall of fame quite a bit, because it looked close to neon on each and every one. The base is a not quite pastel, ever so slightly dirty/greenish yellow, the microglitter is golden and barely leans toward green and orange. Overall this is the most monochromatic colour in this collection.
wall of fame was a tad streaky, but all in all the formula was good and I had no issues.

This is wall of fame in two coats without top coat:

And this is wall of fame in three coats with top coat:


Though I like all colours, the ones that were must-haves for me were street styler and especially nightline. I highly recommend taking at Gejba’s swatches at parokeets, she really captured the shimmer which doesn’t properly show up in my swatches. I blame the lack of sun in my flat. I can see the glitter, but the camera just wouldn’t pick it up for most colours.
Send me money and I’ll buy a new flat with lots of sun (not that that would help much with this kind of weather). I’d probably die of sun-shock, though, ‘cause I’ve never had much in the way of natural light. ^_^

Which of these colours do you find most intriguing?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...