Thursday, December 22, 2011

Nail Quickie - More Krampus Than Christmas

Well, that title probably isn’t all that clear to non-Austrians (and folks from nearby regions). Basically, it’s a quasi-demonic figure that accompanies Saint Nicholas and punishes as he rewards. Hmmm, goat-like features, kinda nasty, I wonder why the Catholic church doesn’t like those traditions. Anyway, while I doubt that there’s a solid tradition about colours, I have observed a tendency to wear red and black for Krampus-themed celebrations.
Though the whole Krampus and St. Nick thing happened a couple of weeks ago (Dec. 5th and 6th), my mani brought it up.

This is what I used:

  • China Glaze Nail Strengthener & Growth Formula
  • essence btgn base sealer
  • Catrice Ultimate Nail Lacquer 550 Marilyn & Me
  • s-he cracking top coat 002 (black)
  • essence btgn top coat
  • Seche Vite

As usual I started by applying my base colour: four coats of Marilyn & Me over one coat of each base and sealed it with Seche Vite.

Marilyn & Me is a rich, shimmering and glittering red, The first coat looks pinkish, but at full opacity it’s a tad deeper and nicely balanced. I don’t love it as much as my favourite sparkly red, but it is a gorgeous colour. Like many glittery polishes it isn’t all that pigmented, you’ll need four to five coats for full opacity.
Other than the relative sheerness I found this polish quite lovely. It applied smoothly and evenly, without any streaks past the first coat. If you like sheer polish you could wear Marilyn & Me in two coats. The formula is on the runny side, but the particles don’t seem to settle so far, as they’re quite fine. I really like the not too wide flat brush, it’s precise and suited to narrow pinkie nails.

This is Marilyn & Me in two coats without top coat:

And here’s Marilyn & Me in four coats with Seche Vite:

When the base was mostly dry I applied a coat of s-he cracking top coat and when that had set I added some top sealer and Seche Vite.
s-he was very late coming into the crackle polish game, but if you still want to pick up a black or white crackle (I think that’s the only colours they have), they work just fine.

I like the occasional crackle mani, but generally prefer more interesting combos, for a sort of seasonal mani this colour combination is lovely, though. Not that I’m much about Christmassy nails.
Do you do the green and red thing these days?

1 comment:

Gina (Prim and Polished) said...

Love tha nails! Lmao at Krampus! My brother in law showed us all a short cartoon Anthony Bourdain made about him!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...