Sunday, December 18, 2011

NotD - Late Monkey-Picked Tea

I’ve been wearing today’s mani for a while now and am rather surprised at how well it’s holding on. This is another holiday-themed one: December 14th was Monkey Day, the 15th Tea Day.

Here’s what I used for this mani (there’s something wonky about this photo o.O):

  • China Glaze Nail Strengthener & Growth Formula
  • essence btgn base sealer
  • OPI French Quarter For Your Thoughts (miniature from the current Glossybox)
  • acrylic paint
  • essence btgn top sealer
  • Seche Vite

I started by applying one coat of each base, three of French Quarter For Your Thoughts and sealed it with Seche Vite.

French Quarter For Your Thoughts is a mushroomy taupe crème. I had hoped that this may turn out more of a dirty grey on the nail, but sadly it really isn’t grey or greenish enough for me to like. Not a colour that I would choose for myself. Interestingly the swatches looked more greyish when I viewed them in the browser. There’s a distinct brownish tone, though, more like it looks on the ‘products used’ shot. The opacity is average, three coats were needed for perfect coverage.
The formula is excellent, were it not for the very average brush and cramp-inducing cap the coats would probably have been even enough to make the third coat unnecessary. I found this polish to be very shiny and it levelled very well.
If taupes are your thing you may like French Quarter For Your Thoughts a lot, though I recommend always getting full-sized OPI polishes (so far only Orly has miniatures I really like). Personally, I didn’t like it. I just find taupe, greige, nude, and beige nail polish very unflattering.

This is French Quarter For Your Thoughts in two coats without top coat:

And here’s French Quarter For Your Thoughts in three coats with Seche Vite:

Though I did not like this colour, I found it quite appropriate for Tea Day. The shade does resemble a cup of tea with the barest hint of milk (never cream! Philistines!), which *gasp* I find rather unsightly.
So I used acrylic paint to add a row of kind of messy leaves along the tip of each nail, except for the left ring finger nail. That one got a grumpy-looking generic monkey. And can you blame him? He’s been bloody picking tea all day, the poor bugger.
After letting the acrylic paint dry for a few minutes I added a coat of top sealer and then one of Seche Vite for more durability.

I don’t really love this manicure. I liked the idea, but the execution could be far better.
Also: Happy International Migrants Day! I can’t think of how to nailify that one.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...