Wednesday, September 12, 2012

31 Days: Day 12 - A Subtle Stripe

I’m not good at painting even stripes, so I decided to go back to my stamping supplies for today’s mani. The stripes are barely visible on the photos, but show up pretty well in real life. It’s one of those weird cases, I could see the stripes very nicely in my ancient Photoshop Elements (5.0 o.O), on Flickr they were nowhere nearly that visible.

Here’s what I used:

  • essie rock solid
  • Douglas nylon base coat
  • Rimmel 60 Seconds 850 Aye, Aye, Sailor
  • Maybelline Colorama 677 Blackout
  • essence image plate
  • essie good to go
  • Seche Vite

I started with a coat of each base, two of Aye, Aye, Sailor and some Seche Vite.

Aye, Aye, Sailor is a dark, muted navy blue crème. So very chic (and I never use that word, ‘cause most things aren’t actually chic at all)! It’s very densely pigmented, almost a one-coater, but two will be perfect.
Though this polish is a tad thick it apples smoothly and levels well. I found Aye, Aye, Sailor very easy to use and the flat, wide, round-cut brush makes it extra easy to apply neatly.
Highly recommended to all lovers of darks.

This is Aye, Aye, Sailor in two coats with Seche Vite:

I let the base dry thoroughly, who’d want to have a wrinkly nail post-stampage? Then I used an old essence image plate and Blackout to add diagonal stripes. I first sealed it with good to go, then added some Seche Vite, since the essie top coat tends to scuff quickly on me.
When applying top coat over a stamped mani I use the same technique as I do with Seche Vite, a good bead of top coat on the brush and no pressing the bristles down. Look ma, no smudges!

I’m very happy with how this turned out, I was afraid I had lost my stamping muscle memory or that the black wouldn’t show up at all, rather than just on the photos. :-D

2 comments:

Gottwinkies said...

Pretty! I can see the stripes...subtle and very pretty!

cucumpear said...

That's great to hear, thank you, Gottwinkies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...